KDE4.3 beta issues

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu May 28 23:56:34 UTC 2009

Willy K. Hamra wrote:

>>      1. sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb

> oh no, that ain't safe the teeniest bit. i have crap load of packages
> over there, many versions of same package even, installing all of them
> one after the other is NOT what i call safe, not to mention it might
> actually install an older version after a newer version.

While I agree with you that it isn't the slightest bit safe (primarily
because of the --force-overwrite) I don't think it IS possible for a *.deb
glob to cause older packages to be installed over newer ones.

> you have to pinpoint the 2~3 packages with overwrite problems. i did
> install KDE 4.3 eventually, but i can't remember which packages i had to
> manually dpkg.

Agreed - I don't have much problem with using --force-overwrite in the odd
case where it happens, but I _always_ do it one package at a time after
carefully looking at the packages involved and the specific file.  It's a
really bad idea to just do it automatically.
--
derek