KDE4.3 beta issues

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu May 28 23:45:43 UTC 2009

Goh Lip wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Goh Lip wrote:
>>
>>> Derek, Myriam,
>>>
>>> Terrell was talking about KDE 4.3 beta in Jaunty.
>>> Why do we always confuse Kde 4.3 with kde 4.2.3?
>>
>> We don't. I'm just not quite sure why anybody is complaining that 4.3 -
>> which even Kubuntu, the people who gave us KDE4.1 in Intrepid, are
>> calling
>> _alpha_ - doesn't work.  All of those things worked, and worked pretty
>> well ime, in all the previous versions of Kubuntu.
>
> Derek,Derek,Derek...
> I am not one who just say <<sheesh>> or (sigh) or leave an issue I am
> involved in unless I get stumped. (I am tempted too, though, maybe a
> 'plonk' would be nice, if Clay can give a wav file)
>
> Please check your Kde version, any dophin, konqueror or whatever will
> do. Do you have Version 4.2.85 (KDE 4.2.85 (KDE 4.3 Beta1))?
>
> If you don't, I don't think you know what we are talking about.

I _know_ what you're talking about, I just don't get why there's so much
annoyance that _anything_ isn't working.  No, I don't have KDE 4.3 or
4.285).  Which is why _my_ KDE is working.

> If you do, I owe you an apology and care to share with us how you're so
> smart and don't get into all this mess? I got out of the mess but find
> it not so friendly, okay?
>
> No hard feelings?

None at all.  I'm sure the problems you encounter with alpha software are
often _not_ friendly.  You're pretty well expected to be both an expert, and
adventurous to be playing with them.  A few years back, when I considered
myself both, I would pick up the newest alpha releases as soon as they
became available.  These days, I don't have the time or resources to be
adventurous (which unfortunately is leaving me less and less expert...).
--
derek