home partition between 2 systems

Martin Laberge mlsoftlaberge at gmail.com
Sun May 24 17:57:12 UTC 2009

On Sunday 24 May 2009 12:35:49 Willy Hamra wrote:
> i have a seperate home partition in kubuntu. is it safe to mount this
> partition as /home in suse as well? my username is "willy" in both
> systems, so they will be sharing the same directory, which is what i
> want, in order to share between the 2 systems my kmail, amsn logs and
> settings, firefox profle, and various other settings and profiles. is
> this safe? anyone tried it? or am i better off doing soft links for
> just the directories i want to share and keeping suse's home seperate?
> thanks in advance :)
>
> --
> Willy K. Hamra
> Manager of Hamra Information Systems
> Co. Manager of Zeina Computers and Billy Net.

I would suggest to keep a special data filesystem
with a little choosen directorys , that you soft link in your home

this way you have a separate /home/myself in each system, and just
mount your special data partition in /home/data

then soft link the .mozilla, .amsn, Documents, ... you saved in this
special data dir to your current home-dir of this system

then all others systems setups will be separate by system,
and you can share datas and/or setups from special applications.

Hope it is not too unclear...

(PS: My system is setup like it, between 3 to 5 bootables partitions
with their own /home , and one "special data" partition)

I know it invoques some manual setups, from someone who know its way
around the command line, but it works like a charm.

(PS of PS: dont forget to always create the same user with the same ID)

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoftlaberge at gmail.com
mlsoftlaberge at hotmail.com
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823
Cell:(418)575-2945
*** 30 Years of Unix Admin, and still learning... ***