New installation Jaunty constant permissions problems

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue May 19 06:59:10 UTC 2009

steven vollom wrote:
> File:///home/steven/.kde/share/config/arkrc.  I open arkrc using sudo
> dolphin and change the permissions so that I can use the program.

Never use "sudo dolphin", use "kdesudo dolphin" instead. This is a
graphical application and it isn't meant to be started with sudo. With
sudo you will have the same permissions problems again and again because
these graphical applications will change the permissions of your config
files instead of the config files of root. I suppose you have run
dolphin with sudo before and that program called ark as root which
changed the permissions of arkrc. Using kdesudo prevents these
permissions problems.

> If we
> are supporting freedom, why do the owners of their own computers have
> to fight with programmers to get permission to use what is their own.
>  Every time I turn around I am stopped from doing something I need to
> do by my own computer.  I love Kubuntu, but I will trash my computer
> before I give over my freedom.

Kubuntu is a multi user / multi tasking operating system and for that
reason there are access restrictions for individual users. There are no
programmers fighting you but it is your lack of understanding the way
these permissions work. It is your freedom to run Kubuntu, but if you
do, you have to live with these restrictions. If you want a system
without the restrictions, you are free to choose such a system, e.g.
FreeDOS.

However if you want to stay with Kubuntu (which I suppose is your
intention), you should learn how to avoid your permissions problems.
Like I wrote above, don't use sudo for graphical applications but use
kdesudo instead.

If you want to change all your config files and all the other stuff in
your home directory to be owned by you again, you can run the command

sudo chown -R $USER: $HOME

in a terminal. And write it down, you will most likely need the command
again.

Nils