New installation Jaunty constant permissions problems

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue May 19 08:35:12 UTC 2009

Nils Kassube wrote:

> However if you want to stay with Kubuntu (which I suppose is your
> intention), you should learn how to avoid your permissions problems.
> Like I wrote above, don't use sudo for graphical applications but use
> kdesudo instead.

As kdesudo is just a frontend for sudo, I doubt this will work.

Instead, DO NOT USE SUDO when doing regular work with your system. Just
use sudo or kdesudo or one of the other frontenends when doing the
occasional admin work.

> If you want to change all your config files and all the other stuff in
> your home directory to be owned by you again, you can run the command
>
> sudo chown -R $USER: $HOME
>
> in a terminal. And write it down, you will most likely need the command
> again.

Use this command once to reset all your permissions to what you had
before screwing things with "sudo <my daily application>".

And when you refrain from using sudo for your day to day work, you will
not need to use it, again.

Instead of using "sudo dolphin" (just for example) it will be way better
to ask yourself or the list, why "steven" cannot do, what Steven wants
to do.

My wild guess is that your file copy activity was done by using sudo
which caused the files' owner to be changed to root.

Nils' command will revert this for your home directory.

And please do not hold ubuntu responsible for the things that you srew
up yourself by using "admin mode", where you absolutely should not.

Kind regards
Eberhard