broadcasting software for Ubuntu?

Edmund Laugasson ed.lau at mail.ee
Sat May 16 23:45:17 UTC 2009

Hi!

I'd like to organize radiostation over internet and would like to do it using Ubuntu and other
always free software. Is it realistic dream and what kind of software you are suggesting?

I mean where can be organize playlist, configure song playing frequency according popularity, play
advertisings with configurable frequency and playing time if needed, has cough button to clear
throat if needed, has blending sound switching opportunity when needed to speak through microphone,
etc. - everything what one good radio may need.

I need:
1) streaming server program
2) managing radio content and send it to streaming server

Perhaps these functions can be in one program.

I made some search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=radio+broadcast+using+ubuntu

I found:
http://www.ivankristianto.com/2009/04/howto-radio-streaming-server-in-ubuntu-using-icecast2/

Then I found http://www.campware.org/en/camp/campcaster_news/
Has anybody experience with this? Does it work and which Ubuntu versions?

I tried also VLC Media Player but it stops after playing one song. Certainly, it's not meant for
radio broadcasting but I just tested it.

It seems like there is one mixer, where are connected microphone for speaking and computer for
managing playing content and mixer's output goes to e.g. icecast?

Any idea (scheme) of connecting devices are also appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Edmund