Derek Broughton derek at
Thu May 14 14:39:55 BST 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:

> I have been doing a little reading, and it seems there is a new
> application for Cron called Vixie Cron that just adds the changed part of
> files, if they have changed.

There's nothing new about Vixie Cron - it's just one of the many
implementations of Cron (and the one that Ubuntu - and Debian, iirc) has
used just about forever.

In any case, it sounds like what you are reading about is an rsync script
that runs under cron (in other words, exactly what Ignazio said).  Cron
itself, Vixie or otherwise, doesn't do file copies.