Jaunty: How to install a USB printer?

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Thu May 14 19:04:35 UTC 2009

Gene Heskett said:

> On Thursday 14 May 2009, Ric Moore wrote:

>>> my samsung ML-1610 works out of the box in jaunty, it got recognized
>>> right away and auto-configured while installing jaunty alpha-3 or 4,
>>> cant remember from an alternate CD. and in all previous versions,
>>> using http://localhost:631 always opens up a CUSP page, and the
>>> printer can always be found by the detect new printer functionality,
>>> which configures the printer way easier than add a new printer. and
>>> yes, my printer is USB as well.
>>> can you make sure the printer is detected by the system? i'm no lspci
>>> or lsusb or whatever expert, but kinfocenter/USB should point you in
>>> the right direction if the printer is seen or not.
>>
>>Samba will steal it and put permissions to it. I know that one from hard
>>experience as I noted. I'd really like to know how this turns out. :)

> That secret is to remove an printers section in the smb.conf.  Nuke it
> totally.  In all machines.

We have a winnner!

All I did was nuke the [printers] section in smb.comf and restart samba.
Then, when I ran system-config-printer, it found it and installed it.

I would love to test it, but the yellow ink pot is now dry, and with
these KDE4-style printers (i.e. huge regressions) the thing will not
print until I install a new one... even though there is a separate black-
only pot, which is full and all that is needed.

I'll post an update when I can find some new ink!

--
Best,
Marc