Find

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu May 14 13:35:27 UTC 2009

Ignazio Palmisano wrote:

> The 500GB is probably measured "industry-style", i.e., 500 billion bytes
> (5 x 10^11 bytes - hope I got the numbers right). Considering that the
> real factor is 1024 instead of 1000, 500 gb declared = 476 gb real

Aargh.  How many times do we have to repeat: that is NOT "industry-style",
it's ISO standard.  The "real" factor would be 1024 if the size was given as
500GiB.  It's only confusing because people insist on saying "500 gb
declared = 476 gb real".

In any case, its never been true of disks.  The numbers manufacturers report
are "unformatted", and no disk ever sold has actually been able to store
that many bytes once formatted into cylinders, tracks and sectors.
--
derek