Find

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 13 00:12:03 UTC 2009

(Trim)
> Here a short explanation how that works (since I think you did not yet
> FULLY understand what you are going to do, no offense, correct me if
> I'm wrong):

None taken, but one of the most wonderful of situations has happened, I really
believe I completely understand and can do the partitioning, I was a bit
confused how to get data going directly to the /home partition, but later in
your email I think you explained it well enough for me to execute your
instruction.

This may be impossible, but can a person have data saved to the /home
partition and the backup partition simultaneously?  That would keep my backup
current all the time.  Would doing that slow the computer down?  Since I have
8gb of RAM, won't that make the duplicated task manageable?
(Trim)

> Linux has the very cool feature, that you can mount a partition in any
> folder on another partition. Usually partitions are mounted in
> /mnt/PutInANameHere. Removable media are mounted automatically in
> /media/... The cool thing about the possibility to mount a partition
> in any folder is, that you can have data on different partitions or
> even hdds without having to change your or the system behavior.

This is exactly what I want to accomplish, I believe.  About 3 years ago, when
I first used Linux, I was instructed to mount all my partitions except swap and
boot using /media/Drive Identity.  It has been a major cause of problems ever
since.  I am hoping that most of my problems will disappear when I use proper
mounting points for my partitions.
(Trim)
> I guess you get the message, by mounting something
> elsewhere you can move the data logically without moving it
> physically.

This statement confuses me.  Isn't the data physically installed where I
direct it?
> Also you can use the same /Steven folder in a different Linux
> installation. You could have any number of systems on different
> partitions and mount your home partition in each one under /home and
> would see the folder /Steven in each one of them.

...so data automatically saved while using the virtual machines is stored in
the same folder?  I am putting so much in the way of new thinking in right
now, I want to confirm this, however, is there an easy way to identify the
saved material from each virtual box so that when reviewing data from one
particular OS, it will be easy to identify its data from the other OS's?
Would it be like /home/steven/virtual 1/........../virtual 2/..........
/virtual 3 etc?  This is where my plan got a bit fuzzy, and I thought I would
need help.  Additionally, will the other applications, like Kmail and
Konqueror and Gimp, for example automatically save to the /home/steven mount?

That was an important part of my plan.  I want all application's saved data to
be automatically saved safely in storage, not on the boot partition.  I don't
really know, but my impressions is that much of that kind of data is located
on the boot partition under root.  If so, is it possible to have such data
saved on the same partition all other saved data is saved?  If so, will this
slow the computer down?  Do I have to create duplicate files and configure the
boot partition to do this, or is this too much for my computer to handle with
current technology.  My vision of what I want to do, saw this as a great way
to retain all information, I might have to make special considerations for,
when installing a new OS.  For example moving all my email records and address
book, bookmarks and the such.  Plus anything else I may have forgotten that
fits the criteria.
(Trim)

>Choose your new 1TB disk
> and create your /root partition on it. Don't make it too small or too
> big.

Would 30gb be enough for a healthy OS plus all ancillary applications or 40gb
or 50gb?  I can spare at least that.  I have 8gb of memory, so swap should be
8gb+ 1gb for the video cards?

> Then create your swap space (should be at least as big as your
> RAM if you want to use Suspend to Disk).

I have never used this feature, however it sounds interesting.  Will you
explain how and why?

> Now create another partition
> and choose /home as mount point in the dialog. With that done, your
> system now will create your user folder under /home and all your data
> will be stored there. Automatically.

Again, will this also include the other stuff, like email and bookmarks
automatically?

> For your old 500GB disk create a mount point under /mnt, for example
> /mnt/backup (since you want to use it as that later). I don't know
> what the button is called but don't delete any partition or create a
> new one. You should be able to click on the partition and change the
> mount point somehow.

I have things relatively screwed up on my current setup, so I must pause and
think about this.  I am considering carefully copying data to the new drive in
a more appropriate configuration and order.  Then review the data on the
current drive to make sure I haven't missed anything important, then make any
necessary additional movements of data and format the drive.  Then move all
critical information back to the existing drive.  I realize this is a lot of
extra work, but I don't trust how the data is currently saved, and I would
rather do extra work now than have continuing problems created by yesterday's
foolishness.

(Trim
>Once you start creating virtual
> machines you can just tell the virtualization program to store the
> machines under /mnt/virtual and you have your virtual machines on your
> virtual machines disk.

I don't have any understanding about setting up virtual machines.  Does each
machine have to be set up using partitions with swap, or do they swap to the
original swap partition from my primary Operating System?  This is a new area
of thought for me.

> If you think you screwed something up in the process, you can always
> go one step back in the installation process and start all over again.
> The physical changes are not made until you go to the next step in the
> installation process.
>
> Good luck.
Thanks Sascha,
> Cheers
And Cheers to you too,

Steven               I am grateful for the time you spent on this; you are
                          remarkable.