Jaunty: How to install a USB printer?

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 11:37:05 UTC 2009

2009/5/9 Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 08:15 +0000, marc wrote:
>> Ric Moore said:
>
>> > But this may shed some light... When I worked at RedHat, I could never
>> > get my Ex's printer to work. Darn embarrassing to be on the Help Desk
>> > fixing everyone elses printers. We had one whizbang that fired up emacs,
>> > had ten terminals with code pouring down the screens like the matrix.
>> > Impressed me! Then he started narrowing down the problem to samba not
>> > being configured correctly. I'm going she doesn't NEED Samba and I
>> > ripped it out. The printer worked right off. Samba was trying to network
>> > a printer that hadn't been configured correctly for the system. The cart
>> > before the horse, so to speak. You can rip out Samba, after saving
>> > config files if you need it or rip it out for good if you don't need it.
>> > One less thing in the way.
>>
>> I'll give that a spin. Thanks.
>
> Let us know how it works. I later re-installed Samba on her machine and
> it picked up on the local printer it found and configured it for use
> easily. I guess it needs to be configured locally before the install of
> samba. It would be interesting if this was indeed the case. Good Luck!
> Ric

my samsung ML-1610 works out of the box in jaunty, it got recognized
right away and auto-configured while installing jaunty alpha-3 or 4,
cant remember from an alternate CD. and in all previous versions,
using http://localhost:631 always opens up a CUSP page, and the
printer can always be found by the detect new printer functionality,
which configures the printer way easier than add a new printer. and
yes, my printer is USB as well.
can you make sure the printer is detected by the system? i'm no lspci
or lsusb or whatever expert, but kinfocenter/USB should point you in
the right direction if the printer is seen or not.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems