Find

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Mon May 11 06:56:32 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Sunday 10 May 2009 06:36:41 pm Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 May 2009 04:19:30 am Nils Kassube wrote:
>>> ust don't do it, you don't gain anything but you may lose your data.
>>> Seriously, I can't understand why people think that primary partitions
>>> might be better than extended / logical partitions. Do they think they
>>> are smarter than the Ubuntu developers who choose to setup an extended
>>> partion during the installation?
>> Agree *100%* Very high risk of losing everything.
> Thanks.  Actually I had a very enlightening day.  I now have useful permanent
> memories that will help me to bother the list a bit less.  I take this advice
> and will not do as you fear.  Nonetheless I understand more and will correct
> all the prior problems soon.
>
> I purchased a HDD large enough to contain all my current data.  It will arrive
> in a couple of days.
>
> When it gets here, I will create suitable partitions with proper addresses.
> Then I will configure to the consensus of all who have helped, to the best of
> my ability.  Then I will make a final fresh install of Jaunty, configure it to
> automatically save to the appropriate storage partitions, and Back-up all
> important data to a Drive exclusive for Back-ups.
>
> I will create a 200gb HDD for virtual boxes to learn other Linux OS's and to
> conduct whatever experiments I wish without jeopardizing my data.  All this,
> thanks to you all.
>
> Steven

Steven,

First the facts..

There can be a maximum of 4 primary partitions.
The boot(/boot) partition (if there is one), swap need NOT be on a
primary partition.
Older Windows, XP and older,maybe even the Vista (not sure), must be on
the first  partition.
Certain OS's or boot programs can only read single digit partition
numbers, like, sda9, not sda10.
Some OS's like FreeBSD, or Mac, must be installed on a primary
partition. (if you install in an extended logical partition, it will
wipe out other logical partitions in the extended partition)
There is no or negligible advantages in installing OS's in any
partition, extended or primary. (unless you have old bios, LVM issues,
old hard disks's, etc)
Jaunty has no limitations on installing in primary or extended logicals,
and allows you to set up /boot, /home, /almost_anything in a separate
partition, primary or extended.

Now.. my opinion, feel free to disagree.

Since you run only Jaunty, you need only to worry about your data.
When you reinstall, first back up your /home to a different disk.
Sounds simple enough.

Regards,
Goh Lip

Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own.
You may both be wrong.