Reading and replying to this list.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun May 3 20:23:44 UTC 2009

Goh Lip wrote:
> I noticed that some messages from the same list, are queries and
> replies to that  same queries. How do you do that?
>
> I have to wait for the list to be completed, sent to me and then only
> then can I respond.

I suppose you get the digest of the list. If you change your settings to
the normal mode you receive every single mail when it is sent (well
usually there is a delay of several minutes).

> It is also a chore changing the subject, scrolling through the
> messages to quote, deleting a long portion of unrelated messages
> before sending off.

That's another disadvantage of the digest mode - you can't reply to the
correct thread because the appropriate headers are missing. If you
change the subject some mail clients may sort your mail to the correct
thread but not necessarily after the correct message.

> I am using a web based email program, not popped or imapped to a mail
> program; does that affect it? Maybe I am not savvy enough? Any
> suggestions?

That depends on your web mail program, some seem to work. But as long as
you use digest mode your options are limited.

Nils