Thanks for the Virus.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 16 22:58:07 UTC 2009

On Monday 16 March 2009 18:27:21 John Culleton wrote:
> On Monday 16 March 2009 06:21:42 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I thought my computer was getting even worse by the
> > minute.  So thanks to the one who doesn't understand, I
> > have an infected computer again, after being away from
> > Microsoft for over 4 years.  Not only a virus, but some
> > kind of ad barrage.  In four years, no ads.  Now every
> > couple of emails is something to erase.   I hope you
> > enjoy yourself.  Trouble is you are probably someone who
> > has my gratitude for helping me.
> >
> > I forgive you, but you are misdirected.  Negative things
> > have a way of coming back at you.  I hope this doesn't
> > happen to you, whoever you are, because the come-around
> > is pretty unforgiving.
> >
> > Steven
>
> I find it a bit strange that you would be complaining about
> a MSWin virus on a Kubuntu list.  Most of us don't run
> windoze, and those that do use the Dark Side as little as
> possible.  How do you figure that one of us is at fault?
>

> --
> John Culleton
> Able Indexers and Typesetters
> http://wexfordpress.com
The only Windows in my box is Wine.  I don't have anything to do with them
anymore.  In fact if you haven't tried Jaunty, I think it will put them out of
business.  I have never experienced such excellence.  In Intrepid, I had
problems installing Kmail that have never been resolved, until I installed
Jaunty.  In about 15 seconds it was configured and running.  I don't have any
gripes with Windows anymore.  I just don't use them at all.  Funny thing
though, I was pretty much accused of fooling with the list, because I have
another problem that won't fix.   It has been getting too many posts; I agree,
but I still have the problem.

But some from the list have take it personal, like I am creating problems on
purpose.  I love the list and would never do anything like that.  Nonetheless
within a short time after the inference or outright accusation, I have an
already wounded computer that dropped about 80 percent of its speed just
grinding out the opening of any simple application, and now have
advertisements clogging up my emails.  I remember that from Windows.  It was
virus' and adware that were the problem.  Since I no longer use Virus
protection or Adaware products, just haven't needed them, I suppose it was
just a coincidence that I have two related problems enter my system for the
first time.  I grieve that my post cause such anger.  I guess I just don't know
what to do when a problem persists and lots of people want to help.  They even
criticized the person who reviews the posts and implied that the ones who were
unhappy were filtering my emails from their computers.  What an absolutely evil
thing to do, and for a bum rap.

The list is my favorite website, and I may be 86ed for reason at all.

 I wasn't even unkind in my response.  I don't assume it was the author of the
chastising email, I just thought it probably some young person who hadn't
matured to realize that doing unkind things have there consequences.  I was
trying to help them, not spank them, even though that is what I think
appropriate.  This is akin to peeking in someone's bedroom window.  It is an
evil act that will have consequences for whomever did it.  If I am
misunderstanding, I apologize to everyone who reads this.  I am not one to
falsely accuse, but when it walks like a duck and looks like a duck and makes
duck sounds, it is usually is a duck.

Steven Vollom, fine-artist retired