nvidia driver problems

Jack Trades pointlessprogramming at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 22:15:23 UTC 2009

OS:
Kubuntu 9.04 64 bit

Hardware:
AMD64 X2 4200+
Zotac GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR2

I've been trying to install the restricted drivers for my graphics card.
Each driver I've tried has prevented the system from starting up.

I've tried the three versions (96, 173 and 180) that appear in the "Hardware
Drivers" program.  Each time, when the login screen should pop up, I get a
random splattering of colored pixels (with one I simply got a black screen).

I formatted the disk and reinstalled Jaunty then tried envy.  That produced
the same results.

I formatted and reinstalled again and tried to build the driver downloaded
from nvidia using the instructions here:
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3101419 which also produced
the same results.

Is there something that I'm missing?

My card does appear in