KDE Clipboard and non-KDE applications

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org
Sun Jun 28 16:26:36 UTC 2009

Bogdan Bivolaru <bogdan.bivolaru at gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to know what's the state of the interoperability between KDE
> clipboard and other applications, outside KDE, especially Firefox. In my
> opinion it would be a requirement that all desktop environments and
> applications can use a single, standard format/protocol for clipboard, at
> least for basic usage (Copy-Paste).

There is a standard copy/paste protocol. The problem is that some people
aren't following it (or just not aware of how the implementation should
be done).

Jamie Zawinski wrote about it a decade ago, and people still haven't
gotten it right [1]

[1] http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html

--
John L. Fjellstad