Ubuntu or Kubuntu

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 12:37:20 UTC 2009

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Joel Oliver wrote:
>> Nils Kassube wrote:
>>>  That's no reason to install Gnome in the first place if you don't
>>> really want to use it. If you want GDM, just install it after you
>>> installed Kubuntu. That saves a lot of downloading unnecessary
>>> Gnome stuff. OTOH, I don't understand why someone prefers that
>>> noisy GDM over quiet KDM with its much saner default settings :)
>> I thought the idea was to have both?
>
> OK, I think I missed that part.
>
>> And another thing that comes to
>> mind is that you will have the synaptic package manager right off the
>> bat instead of the god awful adept.
>>
>> Sorry... I had to say it :)
>
> That's a good point. Synaptic is the first package I install on any
> Kubuntu system :)

Beg to differ - cant stand Synaptic and really like Adept when it works
proper. As it does not on my system since some time...

Both have some good and bad points though, a combination of stuff like:
changing country server for all repos (Adept) w one click, notifying
user when update of a repo did not work (Synaptic), import keys from
packet manager (Adept) and so on and so forth..