Ubuntu or Kubuntu

Joel Oliver joelol75 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 17 01:24:40 UTC 2009

Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:

>  I'm curious why you think Gnome should come first.  I did it that way
until I
>  realized that the apps used in KDE seemed better to me.  After I
installed it
>  I realized how ugly Gnome looked in comparison.  (My opinion only, not
trying
>  to fan the flames)
>
>  I agree with installing both while you are deciding.  I feel that if
you have
>  any machine with a chip running over 1.5 Ghz and 768 MB of memory then
KDE is
>  the clear winner.  You can even use KDE things with an XFCE desktop if
you
>  have a really old box.  My Thinkpad A30 from the 90's is still useful
like
>  that.
>
>  Alan

It doesn't really matter, but doing it this way will keep gdm working
and not using kdm.  Now I know I'm asking for problems, but I have had
problems with kdm forcing me to 'logout' before I can shutdown or reboot
in gnome, requiring manually going in and modifying config files. Now
yes, you can use kdm and kde4 but the current state of kde4...  Ok I'm
not going down that path. I just rather gdm and the orange/yellow
"ubuntu" boot splash screen.  This can of course be changed to any of
the many startup splash screens in the repos and using the package
startupmanager will simplify changing them (Or manually change the soft
links in /etc/alternatives to point to the splash image and remake the
initrd)

Anyway there are many kde apps that I must have in my gnome
environment.  Namely k3b, ktorrent, the kde games rock, amarok,
kivio...  And there are much more gtk type apps I use.

I did state it's just a preference.  If you have an xubuntu disk to
start with, hey... go for it and just sudo apt-get install
ubuntu-desktop kubuntu-desktop, but then you may need to configure a
little more....

> >> After I installed it I realized how ugly Gnome looked in comparison.

System>Preferences>Appearance will fix this.  The new Dust theme is
awesome.  Plus installing ccsm to tweak compiz works fine in gnome.
KDE4 with its discrete Desktop Settings and Phonon sound management
seems to be buggy and break often.  Many times, playing with the
compositing settings in kde4 has locked my out of a usable desktop
requiring me to get on the terminal to fix it.  Why kde developers need
to have their own sound system and other low level systems like  phonon
makes no sense to me, there's already enough well established sound
management systems like esound, pulseaudio, jack, ect...  So kill arts
and start a new mess?

OK getting off topic...  Plain and simple it's just an opinion to start
with ubuntu to install with as it's undeniably a more tested installer.

Joel.