command for downloading a package to save

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 16 19:00:01 UTC 2009

On Monday 15 June 2009 01:50:38 am Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Sunday 14 June 2009 20:37:07 Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> >> After you return from your break, please issue this command
> >> on your laptop:
> >> sudo ifconfig
> >>
> >> usually, one of the interfaces will have an address
> >> beginning with 192.168.x.y
> >
> > Eberhard -
> >
> > Stephen said that he cannot connect through his router, but only directly
> > through his DSL modem.  If this is correct, and if the term DSL modem
> > means the same thing his side of the pond as it does here (by no means a
> > forgone conclusion), his laptop must be connecting directly with his ISP,
> > probably with a dynamic IP, and it is not going to tell us anything about
> > his network.
> >
> > Lisi
>
> Lisi,
> thanks much. I technically agree, since your conclusions are
> perfectly right.
>
> However:
> I simply cannot imagine that Steven installed ppoe to
> directly use the modem.;-) So I placed a bet on him using
> the "router", when saying he was using the "modem", whatever
> that means.
>
> Kind regards
> Eberhard

Hello guys,

I know what a router is and what a modem is.  I am not confused at all and am
using the proper words to describe each when I write you.  My router is a D-
link Air Plus Extreme G.  It has the ability to connect to 4 computer using
hard wire.  It is not set up to use it wireless, because I don't remember how
to configure it, but I have been using it only like a Hub, so that I could have
a couple of computers connected to the internet at the same time.

David Kuntadi asked me to try a Live CD to see if it would get connection.  I
did and it did, on what I call the infected computer.  Using the Live CD I
sent an email to the List explaining that connection.  It was a reply to David
Kuntadi.  The title of the Subject was: Re:command for downloading a package
to save.

I don't really know how it got on that Subject, but it is.  I confirmed that
all Kmail configurations are accurate.  I checked them letter by letter, number
by number.  I did not skip a single entry.  The configuration is exactly
correct.  Still, what I call the infected computer provides and UNKNOWN HOST
error message for konqueror and kmail.  Using the Live CD, what I call the
infected computer works perfect.  All the tests were run using a direct
connection to the ISP via a DSL modem.  It is small, about an inch high.  It
is about 3 inches deep and about 4 inches wide.  It has five lights on it.  The
first one is Power, the second is Ethernet, the third one is DSL, The fourth
one is Internet, the fifth one is Activity..  This is not confusing me at all.

The router is about 8 inches tall, is about an inch wide and has D-Link
written on its side.  It has the words AirPlus Extreme G written on it and
just to make sure I understand, it says Wireless Router.  You can relax at
least on this point.  I am not trying to be smart, I am just trying to
describe it so thoroughly that you believe I am using the proper words this
time and understand what I am referring to.  Several have seemed unsure if I
understand, and I have assured them I do,  If you will believe me, it removes
one of the options to consider.  If you want, when I use a term, I will
describe what I mean in this way.  So many are kindly trying to help, I want
the parts where you are unsure if I know what I am describing is clearly
understood.  Each time you are unsure, just say so.  If my word isn't good
enough, I will describe as above to remove your doubt or confirm your
assumption.

Steven