command for downloading a package to save

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 15 06:30:23 UTC 2009

On Sunday 14 June 2009 05:17:09 pm Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Sunday 14 June 2009 20:37:07 Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> > After you return from your break, please issue this command
> > on your laptop:
> > sudo ifconfig
> >
> > usually, one of the interfaces will have an address
> > beginning with 192.168.x.y
>
> Eberhard -
>
> Stephen said that he cannot connect through his router, but only directly
> through his DSL modem.  If this is correct, and if the term DSL modem means
> the same thing his side of the pond as it does here (by no means a forgone
> conclusion), his laptop must be connecting directly with his ISP, probably
> with a dynamic IP, and it is not going to tell us anything about his
> network.
>
> Lisi

It worked fine with the laptop, but I would like you to be aware that I haven't
been using it for other than a method of getting two computers on the Internet
without have to change cables.  It just acts as a hub.  I think that is the
correct term.

When connected to the problem computer the computer does not recognize either
of them properly.  Unless they have changed, even the modem direct connected
will not connect with the browser or email any more.

And yes, my laptop is connected directly to the ISP, on 100% of the time.

And thanks BTW.

Steven