command for downloading a package to save

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 14 16:32:02 UTC 2009

On Saturday 13 June 2009 09:55:26 pm Martin Laberge wrote:
> On Saturday 13 June 2009 17:51:22 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> > On Saturday 13 Jun 2009 22:05:57 Steven Vollom wrote:
> > > A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with my
> > > ISP, and now from downloading an application that may fix the problem.
> > > How can I download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a thumb drive
> > > and install it on my infected computer?  Thanks!
> > >
> > > Steven
> >
> > Steven,
> >
> > You automatically assume that a Virus is the cause of every computer
> > problem you have. Since you're using Linux this is very, very, unlikely.
> > Indeed the symptoms you're describing are not the sort of thing I'd
> > expect a virus to cause. A more likely explanation is that your ISP is
> > having temporary problems. You may just need to wait a while and see if
> > things start working again. Also, try to think of anything you might have
> > changed - is the router switched on for instance, or have you changed any
> > settings? Ask yourself logical questions, don't automatically blame a
> > Virus, I very much doubt that's anything to do with your problems.
> >
> > Mark
>
> To catch a Windows virus, and infect a Linux computer,
> is not unlikely, it is Impossible.
>
> Just find something else to blame, your Linux computer
> DID NOT have been infected by a windows virus.
>
> Even if you received the virus in your mail
>
> Even if you just did not resist to click on it and try to run it.
>
> If you have Wine installed, then the windows virus opened in wine,
> would infect only your wine environment, not your linux environment.
>

> --
> Martin Laberge
> mlsoftlaberge at gmail.com
> mlsoftlaberge at hotmail.com
> mlsoft at videotron.ca
> Tel:(418)521-6823
> Cell:(418)575-2945
> *** 30 Years of Unix Admin, and still learning... ***
I have exhausted that path of action.  My first step was to see if the ISP
could help me.  They could not.

Yes, originally I was on a router.  It was one of the paths that was blocked
about the 3rd stage of new events.

First:  @Yeshua was added between senders name and their @whatever.com
Next after deleting the added data and resending, the dot between their server
and com changed from '.' to '--dot--'.  Then the name of sender was sent to
the server different from my configuration.  It remained correct in my
configuration, so I don't know what it was changed to, but the server kept
sending an error message that the sender was wrong and needed to be corrected.
And lastly it started to slow mouse activity on Gmail an internet application
I use from time to time.  Between mousclicks from 10 to 30 minutes would take
place before the link to a new location was made.  By that I mean if I clicked
on 'send' to see if an email was sent, I would have to wait from 10 to 30
minutes before the action would take place.  When 30 minutes, it would time
out three times.  I never waited longer than that.  I was only willing to make
these long waits, because it was my only possible connection to help.
Eventually that capability stopped working too and I could not get any signal
to the dsl modem.

I then took my old broken laptop and monkeyed with its power switches until
finally it came on again.  I have not shut it off for the past couple of days,
for fear that it would not start again.  That is what happened to it before.
But I have email on my laptop.  I am connected by cable to the dsl modem.
Both browser and email function normally.

What does it sound like if not a virus?

Steven