command for downloading a package to save

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 14 18:05:18 UTC 2009

On Saturday 13 June 2009 05:51:22 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Saturday 13 Jun 2009 22:05:57 Steven Vollom wrote:
> > A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with my
> > ISP, and now from downloading an application that may fix the problem.
> > How can I download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a thumb drive
> > and install it on my infected computer?  Thanks!
> >
> > Steven
>
> Steven,
>
> You automatically assume that a Virus is the cause of every computer
> problem you have. Since you're using Linux this is very, very, unlikely.
> Indeed the symptoms you're describing are not the sort of thing I'd expect
> a virus to cause. A more likely explanation is that your ISP is having
> temporary problems. You may just need to wait a while and see if things
> start working again. Also, try to think of anything you might have changed
> - is the router switched on for instance, or have you changed any settings?
> Ask yourself logical questions, don't automatically blame a Virus, I very
> much doubt that's anything to do with your problems.
>
> Mark
Please give me a break.  If it isn't a virus, contribute a solution.  I have
repeated what has happened fifty times about now.  If you read the description
of how the system went down, and can explain what could have happened other
than your same 'it couldn't happen on Linux' well it did.  No one including
you gives me any advice of how to correct the problem, and this isn't the first
time you sent this answer.  I have heard it from others too.  I may be wrong,
but just saying Linux rarely gets virus' or it isn't common doesn't work.

Here goes read and give your explanation then.

I was monitoring the list a couple days ago with a question.  No one answered.
I was waiting about 10 hours with no response.  Every couple of minuted I
requested get mail with nothing on the server.  Very unusual.  Then Luis puts
his request on the board.  It looked like something I might be able to help
with, but Myriam has suggested I not make recommendations unless I am sure
that my help is correct.  So I wrote Luis an email requesting more specifics
like was his OS jaunty, did he use KDE so I would know if my knowledge might
help.  No one was on the List at the time, and I thought how much I would just
like someone to answer when waiting a long time.

His response was threatening by its wording an I concluded he was not a
friend, so I immediately deleted his email.  I also removed every email that
came from him and went about my business.  An hour or so later, I tried to
write my daughter.  When the email did not send, I checked to see that I put
the correct address on her email.  When I looked at it, it said:

dawn at Yeshua@emiaphotography.com.  The @Yeshua was included and should not be
there; Yeshua is the name of my computer.  So I deleted the @Yeshua and tried
to resend.  This time it was refused too, so I checked again.  This time the
email was addressed like this:

dawn at emiaphotography--dot--com.

Recapitulation:

correct address:  dawn at emiaphotography.com
First sent as:       dawn at Yeshua@emiaphotographylcom
Next sent as:       dawn at emiaphotography--dot--com

The next time I corrected the mailing address, the server responded that the
senders name was wrong and to correct it,  It would hold the email in the
outbox until sent or the problem corrected.

I checked to see if the configuration had been changed; it had not.  So this
was an unfixable problem.  I called the ISP and they could not help with the
problem.  I could not afford their Linux support, so I was stopped there.  The
fee was $100+.

Next I got a warning that my router was improperly connected.  It was
connected properly, so I connected the incoming line directly to the DSL
modem.  When I tried to connect that way it did not succeed, but I still had
the Internet connected, so I remembered a rarely used gmail account I had set
up to receive mail and directly move it to my kmail client.  I opened and sent
an email to the List and was told I had to be a member.  The other account
used a pseudonym for my name so I wrote the administrator, trying to get hold
of Myriam.  I again was told to join the list, so I joined the list as
Shabakthanai which is my pseudonym.  I got an email through to administration
and was sent in return chastisement for what sounded like hijacking a post.
Since my email was not a post but an inquiry for help from Myriam, I tried but
in-affectively couldn't handle the bruhaha that followed that email.

The next step in the problem was to not be able to connect to the Internet at
all.  With no way to get help, I found an old laptop that was broken and
proceeded to try to get it working again.  After a long while, I got a screen,
hooked up Internet and contacted the List.  So far no one gives the problem
any serious thought, because it is very rare to have Linus affected by a virus.
And rather than even consider that I have a virus, no one even attempts to
help.  I do not get advice of commands that might reveal anything or methods
of repairing internal problems.  I tried kdesudo dpkg --configure -a and sudo
dpkg --configure -a; I tried renaming .kdeold and booting to a new desktop;
then I formatted the boot partition and reinstalled Jaunty kde.

Nothing changed.

This would perhaps indicate there is no virus, however, I recently established
new mount points for my partitions designed to make them invulnerable to
system crashes and application crashes that required reinstallation.

I named them as follows:

80gb HDD

20gb /

2gb swap

58gb /home/steven/svprivate

200gb HDD

100gb   /home
99gb    /home/steven/backup

Now all partitions are home partitions separate from the boot drive OS and
applications.  This works excellent, by the way, excepting if you get a virus.

Anyway after reinstalling, (if I had a virus) the virus immediately went from
the home drive back into the OS or wherever it went, because the problem
persists.

I am going to save this for the next person that says I don't have a virus and
to forget it.  And by forgetting it what do you suggest, scrap the computer.
Format all HDDs and start over.  I will if I have to, but some of the data is
very important to me, and it is on a separate partition but still vulnerable
to a virus, I suspect, so I just write it off to additional experience.

I frankly don't care if virus attacks on Linux only happen to one in a
million.  If I have one, should I just ignore it.  What explains the behavior
of my computer is not a virus.  I am open to just about anything.

Thanks!

Steven