upgrade 8.04 -> 9.04+kde3: how?

Joel Oliver joelol75 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 12 19:56:03 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
>  Dexter Filmore wrote:

> >> With difficulty
> >>
> > Now *really*!
> > Maybe it's time to move to a distro again with a lesser moron part in the
> > community.
>
>  Maybe.  It's a perfectly valid answer though.  It can be done, but it
>  certainly won't be simple.

I don't think the sarcasm was needed.  It was a straight-forward
question.... He didn't go off on a kde4 bashing rant.

Unfortunately kubuntu put the nail in kde3's coffin way to early IMO.
Hardy is still supported so why would you need to upgrade?   If you have
a legit reason such as a new Atheros wifi card in a laptop running
x86_64 and need a later kernel than....

Well anyway... If you NEED a new system and Kde3 I would recommend
dumping Kubuntu for straight Debian.  Debian 5.0 Lenny comes with KDE3xx
and with Debians slow release cycle, security updates will be around for
a LONG time.   Security updates hit Debian even before Kubuntu most if
not all of the time.

Joel.