Kubuntu 9.04 on sony vaio VGN-NS11S

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 08:55:21 BST 2009

Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 Jun 2009 12:29:51 O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Humberto S. Shiromoto wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM, David McGlone <david at dmcentral.net
>>> <mailto:david at dmcentral.net>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Try Nigel's suggestion, after you insert a CD, open dolphin and
>>>     click on the
>>>     CD rom icon in the left pane called "places" and see if you are able
>>>     to browse
>>>     the cd.
>>>

>>> I tried this suggestion but anything happen, it just doesn't mount the
>>> cd. I also tried to remove and to insert the notification icon but
>>> nothing happens
>>>
>> try this command from konsole:
>> sudo hal-disable-polling --enable-polling --device /dev/scd0
>
> Thanks! That fixed it for me! Easy when you know the command :)
>
> I got this output:
> Polling for drive /dev/scd0 have been enabled. The fdi file deleted was
>   /etc/hal/fdi/information/media-check-disable-storage_model_BD_ROM_BC_5500A.fdi
>
> For reference for others, it is definitely also necessary to have the correct line in /etc/fstab. Mine is
> /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
>
> And I also have a directory /media/cdrom which is symlinked to /media/cdrom0. This also seems to be necessary for the new device notifier to work.
>
> I wondered how that got there in the first place as I have never knowingly disabled polling on this drive. Wierd.

my irritation is that it comes back and I can not figure out why/how! I
have been playing around with laptop-mode tools and powertop and suspect
the answer might be that. But even if I disable laptop-mode tools and
don't run powertop the bl..dy /etc/hal....fdi file returns on reboot,
regardless of whether I am on battery or not

It is easy for me to fix now that I managed to find out how but darn
irritating, I would rather DISABLE the polling when on battery than
ENABLE it most of the time