audio format converter

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Thu Jul 30 17:33:23 UTC 2009

Hi Brian,

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 16:51, Brian Norman
Wootton<Brian.Meg at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I have about 12 GiB of music tracks and they are a mix of
> any audio format you ever heard of. What I would like to do
> is convert them  all to one format.  I thought mp3 would be
> the most useful, but any better suggestions would be
> appreciated.

This very much depends if you use a portable player and what format
this player can handle.

If you do not use a portable player, I strongly suggest you don't
touch the loss less formats like flac, as this is pretty much the best
format you can get for music. If you already have mp3 or ogg files,
converting those to another lossy format will deteriorate the music
quality, so not a good idea neither.

The format of choice for me are always flac for the loss less format
and ogg for the lossy one, as it gives much better results in quality
and compression than mp3.

If you have wma files, converting those to a free format is a good
idea, as it will allow you to add id3 tags.

Besides that, every recent media player in Linux can handle close to
all current formats, so I don't really see the need to convert all
files to just one format. Just make sure you have the right codecs
installed, as well as the taglib and taglib-extras libraries.

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org