New on kubuntu

Joel Oliver joelol75 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 27 22:45:05 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
>

>> There is one much loved member of this forum that was given CLI
>> instructions. Look where that lead. IMHO, he would have been much better
>> off if not given instructions on how to do something in the terminal.
>>

> Again, I have to disagree.
>

>> [
>> In some cases it's kind of like handing a child a nail and hammer. They
>> wind up hitting their thumb. ]
>>

> A kid has to learn how to use a hammer sooner or later.  In the particular
> case, I really, really, doubt that the particular tool made the slightest
> bit of difference - taking us back to my mention of working helpdesks...

Yep, the Windows equivalent of... OK, you want to change the time on the
screensaver delay... OK, click start, then click run, now type regedit32
in the box...Now go down the tree and find.....    This is the registry
where all the settings of the system are stored, sure you can screw up
the entire computer in here, but you have to learn to adjust your
settings the hardest way possible even though there's easier safer ways
because all the cool kids do it... :)