New on kubuntu

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 08:08:20 UTC 2009

> The most important thing for a newbie is to learn how to manage your
> software packages and kubuntu doesn't really impress me in this area
> with the 'adept' manager.  I recommend grabbing the synaptic package
> manager right off the bat.  Drop to a terminal and type:
>
> sudo apt-get install synaptic

I have to say I feel exactly the opposite way, but I am talking KDE3.
This is the one place that I first started using the command line
interface (console). I really like to use aptitude because it is fast
and easy.
To keep your system up to date just do this.
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude upgrade

To learn more (about most stuff on your new system) type:
man aptitude
info aptitude
help aptitude (does not work in this case)
aptitude help
To exit the help info type q.
You don't need to learn the CLI (command line interface) or console
but in the long run it will make your life easier and more efficient.
I would recommend rutebook also. You can install it just like
everything else. To find it you might want to google for some help. It
is installed in a sort of stupid way.
--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?