Problems installing Kunbuntu 9.04

Alan Dacey Sr. Grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Sun Jul 26 20:43:16 UTC 2009

On Sunday 26 July 2009 05:37:28 am Goh Lip wrote:
> Morten Mathisen wrote:
> > received a CD from Sweden and installed Kubuntu on an old laptop. Tried
> > installing twice. I got some error messages after the installation.
> > Don’t know which.
> >
> > Kubuntu booted from the harddrive. I got the login screen, then the
> > screen went black. Only the cursor on the screen.
> >
> > Whem I installed a CD I got a menu in the upper left corner. That’s all.
> >
> > Can anyone help me get started with Kubuntu. Till now it has only given
> > me frustration.
> >
> > Morten Mathisen
>
> Morten, we need more info..
> o Kubuntu version.., alternate install or live cd?
> o 'Old' labtop, how old? ram, processor.
>     Yes, had fun installing to very old computers in the past, but newer
> Kubuntu's will need better computers, now, sorry. But we might suggest
> something else for you.
> o How did you install? Wubi? Do you have enough hard disk space first?
> 'Older' computers need to clear memory by defrag and scandisk at least
> twice to make sure memory is 'clean'.
>
>  From your (brief) description, looks like you had some degree of
> success, but unable to boot up a graphical mode. Maybe your graphics
> card is not good enough. At the blank screen, type 'Alt+Ctl+F2'. If you
> can see your login in text, login in and then type one of the following
>
> startx
> sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
> sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
>
> Please revert.
>
> regards
> Goh Lip

Before you type in any commands, switch back to the graphical tty7 session
using 'Alt+Ctrl+F7'.  Sometimes things get stuck and need whack to get started
correctly.
I just installed xubuntu in an old Dell XPS T500 (Pentium 3 / 320 mb ram) and
the first time I booted I also got nothing.  After a while I switched consoles
using 'Alt+Ctrl+F2' then back with 'Alt+Ctrl+F7' and it then showed the login
screen and continued.  After that, no problems.

Alan