Odd "logout" behaviour in KDE4 (Jaunty)

Alvin info at alvin.be
Sat Jul 25 16:34:33 UTC 2009

On Saturday 25 July 2009 14:08:01 sam wrote:
> Donn wrote:
> > On Friday, 24 July 2009 18:38:30 Alvin wrote:
> >> I have the same problem. Logging out will give me a blank screen. My
> >> workaround is logging in with ssh and # /etc/init.d/kdm restart
> >> Of course, this requires a second pc. No good solution yet.
> >> I think it may be related to the Intel graphics issues.
> >
> > Try Ctrl + Alt + F1 --> that gives you a console login. No need for ssh
> > as far as I can tell!
> >
> > \d
>
> You may be suffering from this bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/211631
>
> If you have:
> -samba/cifs shares mounting in fstab
> -you get a black screen with a cursor when you shutdoown that hangs from
> 1 min -> forever
> -you may or may not see a "CIFS VFS" error at shutdown
> you may be affected.
>
> If you have these symptoms but don't get the error messages you can
> remove the quiet and splash parameters from your boot line, which will
> let you see what is going on. If you are suffering from this you will
> see the shutdown process stop and hang with "CIFS VFS..."
>
> The fix listed in #46-47 of the bug report works for me.
>
> If this is not the case, have you tried instead of hard power the
> Alt-SysReq- REISUB trick
> (http://kember.net/articles/231/reisub-the-gentle-linux-restart) to get
> the machine to shut down as it is safer for your data as it forces a
> sync of the disks.

Thanks for trying, but I'm not suffering from that bug. I always remove the
quiet and splash parameters. The screen is really, really blank. No cursor in
sight. I have several network disks mounted, (like /home), but they are all
NFS4 shares.

(On a side note, I can't use vga= as a boot parameter. Framebuffer doesn't seem
to work for this video card)