Can't boot new kernel image

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sun Jul 19 16:31:08 UTC 2009

Tim Johnson wrote:
> * Tim Johnson <tim at johnsons-web.com> [090718 17:04]:
>> using ver 8.04 LTS;
> After following instructions for updating grub, I rebooted and get
> the same error messages:
> They are transcribe below with hopefully no typos. Asterisk separate
> what appear to be wrapped lines:
> /scripts/init-top/usplash: /scripts/init-top/usplash: 54:
> /sbin/usplash: not found
> /scripts/init-top/usplash: /scripts/init-top/usplash: 54:
> /sbin/usplash-write: not found
> /udevd[1349]: parse_config_file: Can't open '/etc/udev/udev.conf' as
> config file: no such file or directory
> Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline or missing modules, device:
> cat /proc/modules ls /dev
> Alert! /dev/disk/by-uuid/ecc26f8-a44d-917-f52ebeae14a does not
> exist.
> Dropping to shell.
> Busy box shell prompt follows. Booted to older kernel again.
> Thanks for the input so far. As I wrote down the boot messages, my
> recall re-asserts that I think I did fix something similar in 7.04,
> by running apt-get or (perhaps dpkg), but I took bad notes on the
> process.
> I'm not just interested in fixin this, but in preventing it in the
> future. I'm guessing I should have rebooted as soon as the reboot
> prompt showed.
>
> thanks
Tim, these are not grub problems at all.  Looks like splash scripts and
worse, some disk uuid errors probably fstab itself. I think there are
far more people on this list who are more proficient on this than me and
I like to refrain from commenting with my lesser knowledge on these matters.

By this reply, I like to enlist others who read this to help out Tim.

Sorry Tim, I have to pass the baton.

Regards,
Goh Lip