Can't boot new kernel image

Tim Johnson tim at johnsons-web.com
Sun Jul 19 15:58:42 UTC 2009

* Tim Johnson <tim at johnsons-web.com> [090718 17:04]:
> using ver 8.04 LTS;
After following instructions for updating grub, I rebooted and get
the same error messages:
They are transcribe below with hopefully no typos. Asterisk separate
what appear to be wrapped lines:
/scripts/init-top/usplash: /scripts/init-top/usplash: 54:
/sbin/usplash: not found
/scripts/init-top/usplash: /scripts/init-top/usplash: 54:
/sbin/usplash-write: not found
/udevd[1349]: parse_config_file: Can't open '/etc/udev/udev.conf' as
config file: no such file or directory
Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline or missing modules, device:
cat /proc/modules ls /dev
Alert! /dev/disk/by-uuid/ecc26f8-a44d-917-f52ebeae14a does not
exist.
Dropping to shell.
Busy box shell prompt follows. Booted to older kernel again.
Thanks for the input so far. As I wrote down the boot messages, my
recall re-asserts that I think I did fix something similar in 7.04,
by running apt-get or (perhaps dpkg), but I took bad notes on the
process.
I'm not just interested in fixin this, but in preventing it in the
future. I'm guessing I should have rebooted as soon as the reboot
prompt showed.

thanks
--
Tim