Can't boot new kernel image

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Sun Jul 19 09:41:51 UTC 2009

Hi all,

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 05:51, Goh Lip<g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:
> Tim Johnson wrote:
>> using ver 8.04 LTS;
>>
>> a recent update has added a new kernel image:
>> initrd.img-2.6.24-24-generic dated July 15 with
>> initrd.img-2.6.24-24-generic.bak dated July 2.
>>
>> I just got around to rebooting and when I select the kernel above
>> from grub, I got error messages, didn't record them, but something
>> about a splash screen (maybe?).
>>
>> I've had this problem in the past with 7.04. I solved it by running
>> some configuration of apt-get, but I don't remember which.
>>
>> Comments anyone?
>>
> Tim, not really much useful information here, but we'll try.
> Assume (bad word again) you are using grub legacy and have not converted
> to grub2.

Which is IMHO absolutely impossible, unless he did some very, very
strange setup or modification. Remember, 8.04 aka Hardy Heron came out
more than a year ago, there was not even a trace of Grub2 in Kubuntu,
it is only officially available since Karmic Koala aka 9.10, which is
still early Alpha.

Could it be you misread his version number? At least the kernel number
should give you an indication, 2.6.24-24 is the kernel used by Hardy,
Jaunty uses 2.6.28-13 and Karmic is at 2.6.30 IIRC :)

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org