New on kubuntu

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jul 14 18:00:26 UTC 2009

"Terrell Prudé Jr." wrote:

> That applies even more to MS Windows, I can assure you.  I've done help
> desk for years and still do it occasionally.  More users have hosed
> their Windows systems (requiring total system reinstalls) with GUI's
> than I care to count.  "Oh, that looks pretty, I'll click on it!"
>
> BOOM.  REINSTALL TIME.
>
> GNU/Linux doesn't really have that problem.

Er, sure it does.  In the same degree as Windows.  There are far too many
guis that rather than being "intuitive" are just simple.  And Linux users
are at least as easily distracted by shiny objects as anybody...

> The command line is not a "weapon".  It's a tool like any other.  Treat
> it as such.

Precisely.

> [MS's]
> instructions for getting rid of that ridiculous Microsoft .NET Extension
> for Firefox have users directly modifying the Windows Registry.
> Microsoft repeatedly tell people not to do this (you can wreck your
> system, it's dangerous, etc.)...so why are they now telling people to do
> it?  Hmm....

IME, they only ever tell you how dangerous it is in the same knowledgebase
articles where they tell you how to do it - and they do it _very_ often.
Modifying the registry is pretty simple, so it's rather hard to understand
why they don't just provide downloadable .reg files for those fixes - or
better, .bat files that save the old registry entries before modifying them.

--
derek