4 updates held back for 3 weeks...

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jul 10 13:29:58 UTC 2009

Willy Hamra wrote:

> 2009/7/10 Johnny Ernst Nielsen <j_e_n_pub at yahoo.dk>:

>> If I leave my sources unchanged, will dist-upgrade upgrade to 9.10
>> come october
>
> no. the name, i admit, is somewhat deceiving, but it doesn't actually
> upgrade to another distribution. that might have been the intended
> feature when it was first created, but the way the ubuntu repositories
> work, this can't happen.

Precisely.  Debian, where this came from has repositories named "stable",
"testing", and "unstable", and these are linked to the _current_
repositories at each of those levels.  So rather than pointing your sources
to "etch" or "sid", you might just use "stable" or "unstable", and when new
releases occur, the symlinks are changed and dist-upgrade picks up the
changes.  Ubuntu doesn't do this (though I wish they would).
--
derek