Is there some trick -- Yes! Get the path right.

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 01:09:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 21:32 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
> Dear Ric,
>
> Before I read this email, I pretty much decided to take the suggestions
> included in this email to heart.  Not knowing what things cause problems, I
> simply stick my head down and trudge forward.  Nonetheless, everyone on the
> list proves that they have my best interest at heart, so I will take the
> advice and let the things that are potentially a kettle of worms go.  I wish
> you could be that computer friend that you refer to.
>
> Unfortunately, I live in a neighborhood where everyone I have talked with has
> no interest in computers.  I think it is just that they don't think they
> could handle the intellectual aspect of it, but no one has yet shown enough
> interest for me to even help them get a free computer so they could try.

You could talk to everyone in the neighborhood and still miss the Linux
Geek! Isolationism is a common trait amongst geeks. You are right, it's
the "fear factor" that stops them from trying to use a computer. My
almost 80 year old mother is one of them. BUT! She will ask me to search
for things on the net, then I have to print them out and deliver them to
her. Maybe she just wants more attention??

But, find that local lug, I bet you'll find someone in your immediate
neighborhood. I have lived in some pretty bad places in my time, last
thing I would do is let the local crackheads know that I have a bunch of
computers. They wouldn't know an AMD64 system from a 486, they'd just
steal it anyway. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987