9.04: is KDE 4.2 ever making it to 8.10?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jan 30 00:15:42 UTC 2009

Georgi Kourtev wrote:

please don't top-post...

> Why?  Is there a chance to get some not-yet-ready stuff over the
> experimental
> repository?  Are the main updates now organised through this ppa?
>
> On Thursday 29 January 2009 23:09:27 Clay Weber wrote:
>> Georgi Kourtev wrote:
>> > Do I have to remove the ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental from
>> > the repository after the installation or is fine to leave it there?
>> > gk
>>
>> You definitely do not want to remove kubuntu-experimental

Because it's _experimental_ - meaning it's full of broken stuff, and you
really want to keep tracking the latest fixes to it, once you've taken leave
of your senses and installed it in the first place.

[really, I don't think you have to be nuts to use PPAs - I've installed KDE
versions more raw than those - but it is NOT sane to install a PPA when you
have to ask questions like "Do I have to remove [it] from the repository
after the installation'.  Kids, don't do this at home when you don't know
what you're doing!  And, btw, the PPA _is_ the "repository": you mean
"remove the repository from my sources"]