HELP NEEDED - Kubuntu 8.04 will not boot to login screen. What do I do now???

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun Jan 25 05:37:53 UTC 2009

Peter Williams wrote:
> I urgently need help to fix my computer. I have previously had Kubuntu
> 8.04 installed and it seemed to be working okay. Then I decided that I
> did not want to use KDE 4

Can you explain further?  Kubuntu 8.04 (which I'm using) comes with KDE
3.5.  Did you install the kde4 package?

> and only use the Gnome Desktop Manager with
> KDE 3.5.

Why not just use KDE 3.5?

> I used the Synaptic Package Manager to remove much of the KDE 4
> with the intention of keeping KDE 3.5 and using the Gnome Desktop Manager.

You probably removed KDE 3.5.

> If I boot my computer WITHOUT the Mint Linux 5.1 Live Boot disk -- then
> I get dumped at the terminal login screen for Kubuntu 8.04 (I think).
> The terminal login screen confuses me no-end....

As Eberhard said, you should be able to just enter the same user name
and password you used for the graphical login.  If you can successfully
login, do:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop --reinstall

That should install Kubuntu again.  It may take a long time.  When it
completes, do

sudo reboot

Your computer will restart, and KDE (3.5) should be up and running again.

If you can't login, post the actual prompt you're looking at.

> quote: ---
>
> System Settings / Advanced / Autostart -- click Add Program. Type in
> nm-applet which is the Gnome one. From then on it should start with the
> KDE Session.
>
> ----end quote.

That's information about NetworkManager.  It won't help you get your GUI
back.

> And the newer KDE 4 programs were conflicting with the older KDE 3.5 programs.

Yes, a beginner really shouldn't be using kde4 on 8.04.

Matt Flaschen