What is Skim for Hardy KDE 3.5.10

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Jan 21 05:27:51 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I have an icon on my menu drop-down that has 'sk' on it.  It says it is skim.
> I have googled, man paged skim, and can't find anything that says what it
> does.  I tried to obtain a manual or description of what it is and what it
> does, without success.  TIA.

In this case, the (or a) right command is:

apt-cache show skim

smart common input method platform for KDE
 skim is KDE frontend for the SCIM input method platform.
 It provides a GUI panel and a KConfig module. It has its
 own plug-in system that supports on demand loadable actions.
Homepage: http://www.scim-im.org/projects/skim

Basically, it's used to facilitate input in non-Latin languages.  If you
only write in English, you don't need it, but I would not recommend
removing it.

Matt Flaschen