K3B - how to burn an ISO-CD without errors?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 12 23:11:22 GMT 2009

On Monday 12 January 2009, Bas Roufs wrote:
>Dear Everybody
>Tonight, I downloaded a fresh Kubuntu 8.10 i.386 ISO image - with a
>view to burning it on a CD for installation on a laptop. After
>downloading the image file, I opened it with K3B - running on a
>desktop PC with Kubuntu 8.10. I carried out the MD5SUM check via K3B
>and this page:
>The MD5SUM check went perfectly well. Than, I put an empty CD in the
>tray and started the burning process. I simply chose for standard
>* automatic speed, etc. K3B chose 16 speed for the process.
>* for the 'writing mode' I chose 'auto', instead of 'DAO', 'TAO' or 'RAW'.
>* I also chose the option 'verify written data'.

That has not worked in 2 or 3 years for the majority of the users.  Do your
own verifying by looking at the filesize of the iso you have burnt and
dividing that by 2048, the std block size for optical media.  Then use that
number in a statement somewhat like this:

dd if=/media/cdrom(or whatever it is) bs=2048 count=the number you got from
the division and use a pipe or whatever to feed it to md5sum.  If the burn is
good, it will match the md5sum of the source iso file.

>After the end of the burning process, everything seemed OK.
>So, I put the CD in the CD/ DVD combodrive of the laptop and I tried
>to start the install process. After about 10 minutes the installation
>process ended up in a big mess. So, I restarted the CD and carried out
>the 'integrity check': there were mistakes in 33 files. So, something
>must have gone wrong in the burning process.

Sounds like, toss it and do the next burn at the minimum speed the drive can
do, in DAO mode.  Some drives are pretty optimistic about their working write

>Can you give me some advise on how to minimise the risk of mistakes in
>the CD burning process? Should I change one or more of the options/
>steps mentioned above? Should I add or leave something? In other
>words: how can I get an i.386 ISO desktop CD without errors?

See above, it is several steps in the right direction.  If it still fails, try
cleaning the laser and lens with one of those cleaning disks, replace the
drive cable etc.  If that fails, bin the drive.

>Thanks for replying.
>Respectfully Yours,
>Bas Roufs.
>Bas G. Roufs M.A.
>Van 't Hoffstraat 1
>NL-3514 VT  Utrecht
>M. +31.6.446.835.10
>T. +31.30.785.20.40
>BasRoufs at gmail.com

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Windows is the only solitaire game that requires 16 MB of RAM.