K3B - how to burn an ISO-CD without errors?

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Jan 13 12:16:11 UTC 2009

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Dear Eberhard and everybody
>

> Is there another way to find out whether this burner is 'IDE' or 'SATA'?

Simply open up the case and look at the drive's data cable.

If it looks like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SATA_Data_Cable.jpg
(not nessecarily angled), it is SATA

if it looks like this
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:IDE_cable_40_pin_%26_80_pin.jpg&filetimestamp=20060728161101
it is IDE

>> If it is IDE, you might try to connect it as a master to his very own IDE
>> channel.
This means, the IDE Device is set to "Master" via the jumpers that you
will find near the connectors.

Since your harddisk(s) are SATA, it is very likely that your CD-Rom,
should it be IDE, will already be the master on the sole IDE channel.

Again, if you use SATA, I would expect the CD Rom to be SATA, as well,
but things are different, sometimes. ;-))

> Please, explain what you mean with 'IRQ' and 'dma'.

"IRQ" means Interrupt request and "DMA" is Direct Memory Access
see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRQ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_memory_access

regards