Mic issues with DELL inspiron 1525

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Fri Jan 9 18:50:03 GMT 2009

Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> My mics (both built-in and external) does not work. I have tried in the past
> months different 'solutions' unsuccessfully. Any idea how to make it happened?
> My guess is that somehow the mic is on mute but I cannot control this with
> kmix nor else. When I rightclick on the sound control at the right bottom of
> the screen, I have a checked box 'mute' that I cannot uncheck. I run Kubunti
> 8.10 KDE 4.1.2
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.
> gk

Try the following (taken from the Dell Linux mailing list):

Just to assist anyone using Kubuntu I finally managed to get the mic
working in Kubuntu, KDE that is, 8.04 version.

Here is how:
1. in KMix choose tab Switches
2. in field "Digital Input Source" choose "Digital Mic 1" for built-in mic
3. in field "input source" set "Mic" (I set in all 3 fields)

If you use the front input mic jack then:
2. in field "Digital Input Source" choose "Analogue Inputs"
3. in field "input source" set "Front Mic" (I set in all 3 fields)

under tab "input" you might have to play around with "volumes" for the
sources

Good luck,
Sinclair

Blessings,