Linux and "offline folders"

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Fri Jan 9 21:23:32 UTC 2009

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Linux and "offline folders"
From: "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair at gmail.com>
To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Date: 01/08/2009 11:53 PM
> Maybe someone can assist on this. I have (and am still) searched the
> internet for information on how one can implement the windows concept of
> "offline folders" in a linux client environment.
>
> Offline folders means that a folder (could be home, in Windows is My
> Documents) is stored on a server but a cached copy is kept on the
> client/workstation. The user works with the cache and sees no difference.
> On login and logout any changes are synchronized with the serverbased
> folder. If you are offline (travelling or server down) you will see no
> difference except an error when you log on or off that synch could not
> be done.
>
> The advantage is of course that users files can be centrally backed up
> and if a computer crashes or gets stolen you simply configure a new one,
> "resync" and the user is all set to go. In Windows domains it works with
> "roaming profiles" meaning that if you log on to another workstation you
> will have access to your files but not your own desktop or configs.
>
> I am looking for a way to implement this concept (minus the roaming
> profile if that is not possible) in an environment where the servers are
> either Windows or Linux (Ebox) and the clients also mixed Windows and
> Linux (Kubuntu hopefully). The organisation are moving away from
> Windows, are not going Vista but staying with XP and for new computers
> going LInux. But the offline folders is a security aspect for them,
> securing that users files gets backed up "automagically".
>
> Any pointers, help, someone did something like this, assistance of any
> kind most welcome.
>
> Sinclair

Sounds like you are describing DropBox.

https://www.getdropbox.com/

Totally transparent synchronization between multiple machines running
diverse operating systems. Files are also cached online so that you have
access even on machines that are not being synchronized.

--
Sometimes I wonder.  Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.