k3b refusing to burn a disk

Francisco Borges francisco.borges at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 15:25:46 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 2:41 PM, nepal <nepal.roade at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am using 8.04 with all updates.
>
> Whenever I try to burn a data cd or dvd k3b at some point will
> eventually halt and display an error
>
> "cdrecord has no permission to open the device"

That could happen if there is another user (who logged in before you),
and who is still logged into the computer.

If that is not the case, I would start by trying to:

determine which device it is (probably '/dev/scd0'), and doing something like:
(shell command!)

% sudo lsof | grep /dev/scd0

To see if some other user or program is locking the device.

Other than that you can always try to use another CD/DVD burner (i.e.
brasero), to see if the same happens.

If you are in a hurry to burn something, to force you way out of this
problem you could run k3b as root:

kdesudo k3b

which is nonetheless **not** something you should be normally doing,
but I guess that if you are in a hurry, it is the fastest way to get
the CD/DVD written.

> which device this refers to remains a mystery (at least to me)

My guess is that the device you cannot open is: /dev/scd0

[....]

> I have checked the installation settings, I have completely removed
> and reinstalled k3b but without any change in the above behaviour.
> (and trashed too many disks and lost irrecoverable date due to this
> problem now) I am completely at a loss as to what to do about this,
> anyone got any ideas please?

Other tips would be to try the next "burn procedure tests" using the
"test" option of k3b to avoid wasting disks. It does everything but
with the laser light turned off.

Kind regards,
--
Francisco