Trouble Install Kubuntu 8.10 64bit with GeForce 8600 GTS Card

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 10:03:48 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 00:20 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
> Dear Brian,
>
> Is there on board Video on your motherboard.  If so, remove the Video Card and
> try the on board video.  Ibex has some tricks that help solve 64 bit problems,
> but if you can't get to it, it can't help you.
>
> If you can get your on board video to work relatively stably and get Ibex
> installed and some of the usual bugs ironed out, you then can install the
> video card with BIOS fixes in your possession.  That is what I intended to do
> in the first place with this installation.
>
> My problems intensified with the installation of the Gforce card.  Things are
> improving fast here without the video card problem.  And I have BIOS revisions
> available, so I may be able to solve my card problems soon.  If an upgraded
> BIOS solves my problem, you can be sure I will let you know.  I hope this
> helps.

I wouldn't advise upgrading bios unless you had a really really really
good reason to do so. One mistake and you're minus a computer, nor will
warranty cover such damage. Adjusting the bios settings, is one thing
you can recover from. You may wish to consider that. Measure twice, cut
once. I sure wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they really knew
what they are doing. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987