8.10 Updates?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 16:59:08 GMT 2009

javaandmore at netscape.net said the following at 02/24/2009 08:51 AM :
> I have have been running 8.10
> without problem for a couple of months.? This morning's updates
> installed what looks like a half-baked version of KDE 4.2.? Windows
> can't be moved, minimized or resized.? Dialogs and the command shell
> will not accept keyboard input.? My system is now unuseable.
>

> Running apt-get outside of KDE reports - 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded (gwenview was kept back).
>

> Am I alone in seeing this?

Basically, no, although your symptoms seem to be particularly severe.

My system started updating to 4.2 on Saturday. After several attempts
spread over most of the day on Saturday it purported to have completed the
job, but it seems half-baked at best. I have lost most of my plasmoids, and
have had to stop KDE and log back in several times in the past couple of
days because the system would become unusable.

I don't know of a way to roll back, otherwise I would have done so.

I filed a bug report against the specific plasmoid problem that I am seeing
(which seems to be due to a packaging error; see e-mail
49A2C85D.9010101 at gmail.com), but was told that it was "invalid", although
repeated requests for an explanation as to why it's invalid have gone
unanswered.

So I don't have any brilliant suggestions to make (or even any
less-than-brilliant ones), but at least I can tell you that you're not
alone in having problems.

The lesson I have learned from this is that one shouldn't enable the
backports repository on a production machine. I hadn't realised that that
would be risky. Now I think I know otherwise.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR