No sound, Kubuntu Intrepid KDE 4.2

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 22 12:12:39 UTC 2009

> Steven, first the obvious. Check that the sound is not muted!

That was the first thing I checked.
> Some
> non-KDE Qt applications, Skype in particular, mute the system sound
> for reasons that I cannot fathom. There is even an option to disabe
> this behaviour within Skype!
>
> Other than that, I second the idea of trying with a different kernel.
> When you get to the screen with the "safe mode option" There should be
> other choices in addition to the regular boot, safe mode, and memtest.

I tried that too, however there is only one.  When I booted to it, I noticed
69 updates.  Rather than install them, I went back to the first Intrepic boot
and it too had 69 updates, so I assumed they were the same.  Then I booted the
Hardy partition and found that sound worked there.  Then I tried audio files on
the Intrepid boot and found that audio files work.  Then I installed Kaffeine
and found that Kaffeine works, sound too.  That is when I decided it was a
problem probably in Dragon Player.

Right now, Kaffeine is playing in the background while I am writing this email.
But Dragon Player only plays the video, not the sound.

Steven