keyboard stopped wotking on default desktop but works on grub.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 10:47:10 UTC 2009

2009/2/2 Steven <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>:
>> Does Ctrl-Alt-Backspace kill the X-server (give you a black screen)
>> even when the keyboard otherwise doesn't work?
>>
> That worked.

Very good.

>> If yes, then I suspect a problem in your user account. Configure KDM
>> to ask for a password on login, and check to see if the keyboard works
>> on the KDM screen.
> I don't know how to configure KDM to ask for a password on login.

It is configured in Kcontrol, but it looks like you will need to enter
your password to do it, therefore you need a keyboard.

Alternatively, you can try to reset all your KDE settings to default,
with the hope that it is a KDE misconfiguration. It may or may not be.
But it will be easy to restore your settings.

You need to go into a text terminal and rename your KDE settings
folder to something else. Then log in normally and see if the keyboard
works. If so, then you can try to pick out your important settings
from the old settings folder, or just configure them normally.

To get into a text terminal: Ctrl-Alt-F1

To rename your KDE settings folder:
$ mv .kde .kde_OLD

To reset the machine after you have renamed your KDE folder:
$ shutdown -r now

Make sure that you understand what each step does, and why, before
proceeding! I am assuming that you are accessing the internet from
another computer, if not, then reconsider doing what I suggest.

> I have booted and gotten into a console with grub; the keyboard works,
> however, I don't know any command to enter that will take me toward a
> fix.  When I then boot to the login, the keyboard works to type in the
> password, but when the desktop opens the keyboard no longer works.

Don't worry about it, we are in the 'yes' branch of the first question.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü