java/firefox works but "which java" returns nothing

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 21:12:54 UTC 2009

2009/12/25 Perry <pwhite at bluewin.ch>:
> Le Friday 25 December 2009 17:46:00 Jonas Norlander, vous avez écrit (you
> wrote) :
>> 2009/12/25 Perry <pwhite at bluewin.ch>:
>> > There must be a proper way to let the system know where java resides,
>> > less messing again with symlinks. Perhaps something like
>> > update-alternatives --set (or --install?) but I'm unsure which and unsure
>> > about the proper syntax.
>> >
>> > Anyone has advice on this?
>>
>>  I think what you look for is update-java-alternatives
>>
>> / Jonas
> Thanks for quick answer,
> but that is "unknown command". Did you mean
> update-alternatives --config java ?

No I do have update-java-alternatives (don't know what package it
belong to though). This box is Xubuntu 9.10 upgraded from 8.04. Java
has for most of the times worked for me, I did have some trouble in
7.xx when I had both SUN and OpenJDK but a "update-java-alternatives"
or similar fixed it. You could try to reinstall java for something is
obviously not right for you.

/ Jonas