Reinstalling GRUB in Karmic

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Thu Dec 24 06:18:20 UTC 2009

On 24/12/09 00:03, samuel obirieze wrote:
> I installed kubuntu 9.10 recently in a friend's laptop with the aim of
> creating a dual boot environment.After installin g
> Windows 7 i wanted to restore GRUB using the format i found on the
> internet but
> it doesnt seem to help.
> This is the format i used to restore GRUB:
> -Boot with live CD
> -Open konsole
> -type sudo grub
>
> the prompt shows me that grub i not installed
> Any ideas?
>
> Samuel

I take it you have a working 9.10 in a partition, not bootable after
reinstalling windows 7.

If you can follow the advise by Mario, and I believe the ubuntu
documentation involves chrooting from livecd to the kubuntu partition,
please proceed. (personally, ....well, what's food for one is poison for
another..)

Otherwise, boot up live cd (kubuntu 9.10), at terminal create grub2 iso
grub-mkrescue grub2.iso
Burn that grub2.iso.

Restart the computer and boot up that grub2 cd. You will see a grub2
shell like this
sh:grub>

type "search -f /boot/grub/grub.cfg"
you will see output, "(hd0,x)" note that down.
then type "configfile (hd0,x)/boot/grub/grub.cfg"  {x is a real no}

You should boot into your 9.10, then open a terminal and type
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

You should have your grub2 installed to mbr.

Regards,
Goh Lip