No Krunner for USB keyboard

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 00:38:43 UTC 2009

2009/12/24 Reinhold Rumberger <rrumberger at web.de>:
> On Wednesday 23 December 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> > Make sure your client is set to forward key combinations like
>> > this to the server.
>>
>> The client no longer exists!
>>
>> > BTW, I think you will find that Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't
>> > work either.
>>
>> It still pops up the logoff options.
>
> OK, just to make sure: you're on the Dell, not using VNC to remote
> control it? What happens if you kill the VNC server? Does that fix
> the problem?

Correct. The USB keyboard is plugged directly into the laptop. The VNC
server was not started since I powered up. How can I check to see if
it is running anyway?

>> I'm kidding, I know what Alt-F4 does and I just tested in a Kate
>> window. You are right, Alt-F4 from the USB keyboard does not close
>> applications. On the laptop's builtin keyboard it still does. Note
>> that this did work until either yesterday or toady.
>
> OK, I'm a bit at a loss here. Have you tried re-plugging the
> keyboard?

Yes

> Closing the X-session and re-logging in?

Yes

> Change to a
> virtual terminal (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F2) and use the USB keyboard to get
> back (Alt-F7)?

The USB keyboard won't get me to a virtual terminal or back to 7. I
must use the builtin for that.

> Does an on-screen keyboard work?

Yes, both for switching to a virtual terminal and for pulling up Krunner.

I must stress that until today, I have been using _only_ the USB
keyboard for months. All this worked until recently.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il